How To Find and Delete Duplicate Files On Mac?
When a Mac has been used for a long time, many duplicate files may appear on the Mac. These duplicate files will take up additional disk space and cause inconvenience in daily use. You can manually remove these duplicate files, but if there are many these kind of files, manually deleting will waste a lot of time.
Why are there duplicate files on my Mac?
In most cases these will be:
- Mistaken downloads.
- Mail and Messages attachments.
- Duplicate files generated by other apps.
How to find duplicate files on Mac
There are many ways to find and clean up duplicate files, but most commonly:
- Manually searching for duplicates with Finder.
- Using a dedicated app: BuhoCleaner.
Find duplicates manually
You can use the "Smart Folder" function that the Finder provides to scan for duplicate files, but you have to select and delete these files manually. For more info about "Smart Folder", visit this page.
If you are not willing to spend a lot of time on this, you can use a more fast and reliable tool BuhoCleaner.
Using BuhoCleaner to clean up duplicate files
Follow the steps below to scan and clean up duplicate files with BuhoCleaner:
- Open BuhoCleaner and jump to Duplicates:If you turn on this feature for the first time, You would better customize the preferences or use the default preferences. If you want to change preferences later, you can find it here:
- Click the "plus" button to select target directories: You can click the home icon to scan all files(Photo folder and Music folder are coming soon). Or you can choose custom folder.
- Start scan and wait shortly to get the results.You can click the Select Duplicates to select duplicates collectively.Or you can click the right of a single file to select one by one.And you can click the Sort by Size to sort files by the way you like.Besides, you can click the funnel icon to show or hide the files which you choose.
- You can move your mouse on the path of files and double click to open the file in Finder.Or you can click the magnifier icon to open in Finder.
- Finally, click the "Remove" button to start the deletion progress.
Free download BuhoCleaner on our website to quickly clean up your hard drive.